by: Alexandra Christian
One of the questions I’m most often asked as an author is, “What are you reading?” The truth is, often times, I don’t have time to read much while juggling writing, promotion, my day job and convention season. It’s awful, because I truly believe that you can’t be a great writer if you aren’t a prolific reader. That why my favorite part about the summertime is having those lazy afternoons to lay in the sun with a great book. On the beach, by the pool or in the bathtub, I always find that I have more time to read during those steamy Carolina summers. I thought for this month’s #SummerMemories theme, I’d share some of my favorite books to take on holiday.
It may seem odd, but when I sit down to read a book, I most often reach for a horror novel. I started reading Stephen King at age eight and the habit has continued through the years. It’s why I was so excited when I found the paranormal romance genre. Finally, books that incorporated spooky elements with a steamy romantic relationship! Where have you been all my life??? Anyway, I digress. I’ve compiled a little list of horror, paranormal romance and erotic horror books that are perfect for a little escape on the beach. Think of it: just you, your Kindle and a frozen treat with a little umbrella…
- Duma Key by Stephen King. It’s a bit long, but I promise once you get into it, the pages just fly by. It’s the story of Edgar Freemantle, a contractor who barely survives a terrible accident. During his recovery, he takes a long vacation in a house called “Big Pink” on a tiny island in the Florida Keys. While he’s there, he rekindles his passion for art and begins furiously and obsessively painting. After a while he realizes that his paintings are becoming more and more prophetic. They also seem to be leading him toward an evil that has infected the island and threatens everyone Edgar holds dear.
- Haunted by Kelley Armstrong. So yeah, I was late to the party. I picked up Haunted for my “beach book” several years ago, not realizing it was part of a series. I was in luck, as I didn’t need much background information. It’s a great standalone book (though I highly recommend the others in the series). Haunted is more of an urban fantasy, but there are some parts that are downright creepy. The main character, Eve, is a half-demon and a black witch (which is a bag of awesome in itself). The Fates convince her to help bring back an evil spirit called the Nix that has escaped from Hell. Nix is an incredible villain, having the badass power to persuade others to kill for her—even Lizzie Borden. It’s just a really fun read that you’ll be able to finish over a long weekend by the pool.
- Mon Coeur Mort: My Dead Heart edited by Eric Beebe. One of my favorite things to take to the beach for reading is a good anthology. I have mad love for short stories and the stories in this collection are some of the best. The folks at Post Mortem Press call this “paranormal romance” and some of the stories within are. I’d call it more “erotic horror.” While the stories aren’t necessarily explicit, they don’t always have a happy ending. Mon Coeur Mort explores the darker side of love and sex in ways that are sexy, disturbing and sometimes humorous. If you like a good “spooker” and aren’t faint of heart, I highly recommend this one.
- Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. You cannot call yourself a lover of dark or gothic romance if you don’t have this book on your shelf. Even if you didn’t like it, you have to read it. It’s lush and seductive with luxuriant imagery. It also has probably the sexiest romantic anti-hero ever in the mysterious Heathcliff. The book begins with a ghost story that follows the tragic relationship of the orphaned Heathcliff and the spoiled and privileged Cathy. It’s a star-crossed love connection that ends up destroying them both. It’s a feel good story! 😉
- Gentlemen Prefer Blondes by Alexandra Christian. Okay, so what kind of author would I be if I didn’t pimp myself out a little? My new release from Ellora’s Cave is a hot little number that blends the erotic and the horrific. It’s the story of a fangirl who is desperately in love with Hollywood’s newest “it boy,” Alexander Kensington. Her devotion borders on obsessive as she stalks him to a darkened hotel bar. If you’re a lover of psychological thrillers, steamy sex and exceptionally hot Englishmen—this book is definitely for you. It fits perfectly on your eReader for those awkward layovers in airports. More details below…
Well I do hope you’ve enjoyed this little tète a tète. Don’t forget to go out and make some Summer Memories! Times a’ wastin’!
Meet Alexandra Christian:
Alexandra Christian is an author of mostly paranormal erotic romance and horror. In case you don’t know what that means, she writes about not-so-nice girls getting it on with out- of- this- world heroes. Vampires, werewolves, dragons, angels and demons– and that’s just recently!
A self-proclaimed “Southern Belle from Hell,” Lexxx is a native South Carolinian who lives with an epileptic wiener dog and a pet ghost hunter. She has published several novels, novellas and short stories with Ellora’s Cave, Purple Sword Publications, Mocha Memoirs Press and most recently, Seventh Star Press. She looks forward to sharing her twisted view of reality with the masses through erotic paranormal romance and horror. Lexxx’s long-term aspirations are to one day be a bestselling authoress and part-time pinup girl.
Alexandra Christian’s Web Tracks:
Alexandra Christian on All The Things Inbetween:
Alexandra Christian Books:
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes Synopsis:
Fangirl favorite Alexander Kingston has a “type”—blonde, willowy and sophisticated. He doesn’t give mousey wardrobe mistress Elizabeth a second look, until she transforms herself and sets out to seduce him.
But dark desires are at play. Before long their erotic encounter will turn into a date to die for.
Purchase Gentlemen Prefer Blondes:
Follow all the updates for this blog by visiting and liking The All The Things Inbetween Facebook page. Click the banner to enter the ring!
I’m looking for authors and victims willing to write guest blogs, reviews and interviews for All The Things Inbetween. If you would be interested in taking part please drop me an email and I will send you a thank you picture of a kitten!